Large Format Printing
The Large Format Printing Area at Pikes Peak Makerspace (PPM) consists mostly of Level 2 equipment.
Additional training is required to use our Level 2 equipment.
Members must know the following information:
In case of emergency, call 911
- Our physical location is:
- 735 East Pikes Peak Avenue
- Colorado Springs, CO 80903
- use this when ordering pizza or an ambulance
PPM Fire Escape Plan
- Fire Escape Plan maps are posted throughout the Makerspace.
- There are 7 fire extinguishers on the fire escape plan map. Review the PPM Fire Escape Plan for locations.
- There is a FIRST AID Supply Cabinet in our Kitchen Area.
- FIRST AID Kits are available in four areas: the Kitchen, Metal Shop, Wood Shop and CNC Room.
Eye Wash Stations
- Emergency Eye & Face Wash Stations are mounted in four areas: the Kitchen, Wood Shop, CNC Room and Vented Room.
Personal Protective Equipment
- Wear protective equipment in all Wood and Metal Shop Areas.
- Wear gloves when using Isopropyl Alcohol and other cleaners.
- All hazardous chemicals must be stored in the yellow hazardous chemical storage cabinet located in the vented room.
- Review the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) information of unknown products before use. SDS information is available via the QR code on the hazardous chemical storage cabinet or this link.
- Do not bring dangerous chemicals to the makerspace.
- Spray paint, stains, and other approved items must be stored in the hazardous chemical storage cabinet in the vented room. Please DO NOT paint indoors.
Classes and Training
Area Captain -- Volunteers needed
- To help out with the Large Format Printer, post your ideas/comments on Slack.
- View all PPM Area Captains
- Pikes Peak Makerspace announces its Upcoming events, including classes, on Meetup
- Be sure to log your printing job using the new Printer Usage Form.
- Use the small power button on the front, lower left of the printer for an "Emergency Stop", if necessary.
- Otherwise, to clear the printer, cycle the power using the power switch in the back, next to the power cord.
- Plain paper is recyclable. (Photo paper and canvas are not.)
Captured transcript of Large Format Printer Refresher video (by former PPM member Logan Henning):
- - If printer reports "Print Head Path Error 2", check the (Illustrator) file to see if it has elements that need to be trimmed to fit within the artboard.
- - The media profile for "Canvas" does not allow cutting at the end of the job (or even manually), just use the scissors instead.
For Additional Help
- Use the #large-format-printer channel in Slack!
Large Format Printers
|stock memory config,
|2" spindle hub
|Trevor Banks||N/A||N/A||designed by
|2" to 3" spindle hub adapter
|Trevor Banks||N/A||N/A||designed by
|Problem with color accuracy
|red tagged||Black ink prints too heavy
Magenta ink seems to be leaking
- Use scissors to cut canvas, (the media profile "Canvas" does not allow cutting.)
- Return all tools to their proper location after use. This rule applies to all areas of our Makerspace.
- additional spindles and hubs for 3" diameter paper rolls
Benefits and Policies
PPM Member Benefits
- (walk in, show proof of membership)
|Woodcraft of Colorado Springs||10% discount||4438 Austin Bluffs Parkway|
|CO Lumber Specialties||10% discount||3636 Stone Avenue|
|GENERAL AIR||10% discount||3031 N Nevada Ave.|
|ACE Hardware Uintah Gardens||10% discount||1830 W Uintah Street|
- Map of stores that provide PPM member discounts
- Map of helpful local resources curated by our makers
- Plain Paper $1.00 per foot
- Photo Paper $3.00 per foot
- Canvas $3.00 per foot
- Donate for Materials: bit.ly/ppmstuff (use "Other" drop down menu)
- Or, leave donations in a black payment box, or use a QR code.
- 14", 24", and 30" (Fredrix brand) stretcher boards, stretcher tool and stapler for mounting canvas prints, cost TBD.
Large Format Printing Supplies
2 or 3 in
|Poster Grade Glossy Paper||36"||Buy -- Almost Out|
|Matte White Canvas||35"||3 in||Buy -- Almost Out||4/16/22|
|HP Everyday Instant-Dry
Gloss Photo Paper
|HP Everyday Blockout
|Presentation Grade Matte Paper||36"|
|Bright White Bond Paper||20lb||30"|
|Premium Matte Paper||47lb||24"|
|Bright White Bond Paper||20lb||33"|
|Bright White Bond Paper||20lb||23.5"|
|Heavy Weight Coated Paper||36"|
|Bright White Bond Paper||20lb||24"|
|Translucent Bond Paper||15lb||24"|
|Off White Bond Paper||24"|
|Bright White Bond Paper||20lb||36"|
|Bright White Bond Paper||20lb||11"||Sell|
|Bright White Bond Paper||20lb||11.5"||Sell|
|Translucent Bond Paper||15lb||36"||Sell|
|Translucent Bond Paper||15lb||48"||Sell -- too wide|
- Use a Red Tag, which can be found in the red tag area, to designate broken equipment.
Scrap and Trash
- Collect scrap plain paper, PLA and PETG plastics, and metals for recycling.
- Empty recycling and trash into our dumpster at the back (south side) of the building.
- Leave the space better than you found it.
- Adobe Acrobat
- Preview -- Print directly from Macintosh applications, including Preview
- For even more member projects, visit our #showcase channel on Slack, or follow our social media links.
Links to other PPM Wiki pages (internal links):
- A 59" Rotary Cutter is available to trim large paper projects (but not fabric.)
Other Fun Stuff
- Consider Hofstadter's law