Large Format Printing
Pikes Peak Makerspace (PPM) is dedicated to supporting our maker community in their creative process by providing shared space, shared tools, software, materials and a knowledge base to turn their ideas into reality.
The Large Format Printing Area at PPM consists mostly of Level 2 equipment.
Additional training is required to use our Level 2 equipment.
Members must know the following information:
In case of emergency, call 911
- Our physical location is:
- 735 East Pikes Peak Avenue
- Colorado Springs, CO 80903
- use this when ordering pizza or an ambulance
PPM Fire Escape Plan
- Fire Escape Plan maps are posted throughout the Makerspace.
- There are 7 fire extinguishers on the fire escape plan map. Review the PPM Fire Escape Plan for locations.
- There is a FIRST AID Supply Cabinet in our Kitchen Area.
- FIRST AID Kits are available in four areas: the Kitchen, Metal Shop, Wood Shop and CNC Room.
Eye Wash Stations
- Emergency Eye & Face Wash Stations are mounted in four areas: the Kitchen, Wood Shop, CNC Room and Vented Room.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Wear protective equipment in all Wood and Metal Shop Areas.
- Wear gloves when using Isopropyl Alcohol and other cleaners.
- All hazardous chemicals must be stored in the yellow hazardous chemical storage cabinet located in the Vented Room.
- Review the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) information of unknown products before use.
- SDS information is available via the QR code on the hazardous chemical storage cabinet or this spreadsheet.
- Do not bring dangerous chemicals to the makerspace.
- Spray paint, stains, and other approved items must be stored in the hazardous chemical storage cabinet in the Vented Room.
- Please DO NOT paint indoors.
Classes and Training
Area Contact — Mathew Palfenier
- Additional Printer Suite Leaders wanted
- To help out with the Large Format Printer, post your ideas/comments on Slack.
- Pikes Peak Makerspace announces its Upcoming events, including classes, on Meetup
- After loading a new roll of material, be sure the roll spins freely. (Be sure it doesn't rub against the printer.)
- Use the small power button on the front, lower left of the printer for an "Emergency Stop", if necessary.
- Otherwise, to clear the printer, cycle the power using the power switch in the back, next to the power cord.
- Plain paper is recyclable. (Photo paper and canvas are not recyclable.)
- Be sure to log your printing job using the Printer Usage Form.
Captured transcript of Large Format Printer Refresher video (by former PPM member Logan Henning):
- - The media profile for "Canvas" does not allow cutting at the end of the job (or even manually), just use the scissors instead.
- - If printer reports "Print Head Path Error 2", check the (Illustrator) file for any elements that might need to be trimmed to fit within the artboard.
For Additional Help
- Use the #printer-suite channel in Slack!
- List of all PPM Slack channels
- Note that we have a Slack channel (#job-board) for members to post, discuss, or accept job opportunities either within PPM or from the community.
Large Format Printer
(416 MB memory upgrade)
|2" spindle hub
|3" to 2" spindle hub adapter
- Use scissors to cut canvas, (the media profile "Canvas" does not allow cutting.)
- Return all tools to their proper location after use. This rule applies to all areas of our Makerspace.
Pikes Makerspace is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, so we can provide a receipt for any donations you make.
Benefits and Policies
- PPM members enjoy discounts at the following local merchants:
- (walk in, show proof of membership)
|Woodcraft of Colorado Springs||10% discount||4438 Austin Bluffs Parkway|
|CO Lumber Specialties||10% discount||3636 Stone Avenue|
|GENERAL AIR||10% discount||3031 N Nevada Ave.|
|ACE Hardware Uintah Gardens||10% discount||1830 W Uintah Street|
- Map of stores that provide PPM member discounts
- Map of helpful local resources curated by our makers
- At home LightBurn subscriptions can be purchased at a discounted rate for being a PPM member.
- The discount code is saved as a Pinned Message in our 'laser-cutter' channel in Slack.
- Donate for Printing Materials: https://printing.cheddarup.com Use checkout for all payment methods.
- If paying by cash, leave donations in a black payment box after login in Cheddar Up.
- 14", 24", and 30" stretcher boards mounting canvas prints, cost TBD.
- If equipment needs repairs, place a red-tag on it and report it via the Pikes Peak Makerspace Slack, # red-tag-issues channel.
- This advises others on the malfunctioning equipment and ensures that actions can be taken to service/repair the equipment promptly.
- For more information, review our New Member Orientation wiki page.
Scrap and Trash
- Trash day is MONDAY
- Recycling day is MONDAY (96 gallon tote)
- Single Stream Recycling provided by Waste Connections. Paper, cardboard, cans, glass, and one time use plastics.
- Empty recycling and trash into our dumpster at the back (south side) of the building.
- Always leave the space better than you found it.
- Adobe Illustrator Tips
- Adobe Photoshop Tips
- Adobe InDesign Tips
- CorelDRAW X6 Tips
- Inkscape Tips
- Canva Tips
- Procreate Tips
- Adobe Acrobat
- Preview — Print directly from Macintosh applications, including Preview
- For even more member projects, visit our #showcase channel on Slack, or follow our social media links.
Links to related PPM Wiki pages:
Links to member-recommended external sites:
Other Fun Stuff
Links to external sites:
- Consider Hofstadter's law
- PPM Tool Color Map — Interactive
- Search our Wiki (If your answer is not here on the Wiki, please let us know!)