Pikes Peak Makerspace (PPM) is dedicated to supporting our maker community in their creative process by providing shared space, shared tools, software, materials and a knowledge base to turn their ideas into reality.
The Metal Shop Area at PPM consists mostly of Level 3 equipment.
Additional training and certification is required to use any of our Level 3 equipment.
Metal Shop Area hand tools should be marked with pink tape, paint, or powder coating.
Members must know the following information:
In case of emergency, call 911
- Our physical location is:
- 735 East Pikes Peak Avenue
- Colorado Springs, CO 80903
- use this when ordering pizza or an ambulance
PPM Fire Escape Plan
- Fire Escape Plan maps are posted throughout the Makerspace.
- There are 7 fire extinguishers on the fire escape plan map. Review the PPM Fire Escape Plan for locations.
- There is a FIRST AID Supply Cabinet in our Kitchen Area.
- FIRST AID Kits are available in four areas: the Kitchen, Metal Shop, Wood Shop and CNC Room.
Eye Wash Stations
- Emergency Eye & Face Wash Stations are mounted in four areas: the Kitchen, Wood Shop, CNC Room and Vented Room.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Wear protective equipment in all Wood and Metal Shop Areas.
- Wear gloves when using Isopropyl Alcohol and other cleaners.
- All hazardous chemicals must be stored in the yellow hazardous chemical storage cabinet located in the Vented Room.
- Review the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) information of unknown products before use.
- SDS information is available via the QR code on the hazardous chemical storage cabinet or this spreadsheet.
- Do not bring dangerous chemicals to the makerspace.
- Spray paint, stains, and other approved items must be stored in the hazardous chemical storage cabinet in the Vented Room.
- Please DO NOT paint indoors.
Classes and Training
Area Leader — Josh Harlow
- To help out in the Metal Shop Area contact the Area Leader on Slack.
- Classes for the the Grizzly combination machine are split into individual Mill and Lathe Classes.
- Pikes Peak Makerspace announces its Upcoming events, including classes, on Meetup
Links to external sites:
- Let the tool do the work. Don't force it.
- Before using air tools add 1 drop of air tool oil
For Additional Help
- Use the PPM Slack channel #metal-shop
- List of all PPM Slack channels
- Note that we have a Slack channel (#job-board) for members to post, discuss, or accept job opportunities either within PPM or from the community.
Metal Shop Equipment
|Metal Cutting Chop Saw
|evolution POWER TOOLS||evoSAW||yes|
|metal band saw
|CENTRAL MACHINERY||61791||Owner's Manual|
(Mill and Lathe)
||U.S. General||Bill Epperson|
with Lock-On Paddle Switch
|Drill Bit Set,
|Punch Set in plastic case||Wheeler||product page|
- Metal Shop Area hand tools should be marked with pink tape or paint or powder coating.
- Return all tools to their proper location after use. This rule applies to all areas of our Makerspace.
- Pikes Peak Makerspace is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, so we can provide a receipt for any donations you make.
Benefits and Policies
- PPM members enjoy discounts at the following local merchants:
- (walk in, show proof of membership)
|Woodcraft of Colorado Springs||10% discount||4438 Austin Bluffs Parkway|
|CO Lumber Specialties||10% discount||3636 Stone Avenue|
|GENERAL AIR||10% discount||3031 N Nevada Ave.|
|ACE Hardware Uintah Gardens||10% discount||1830 W Uintah Street|
- Map of stores that provide PPM member discounts
- Map of helpful local resources curated by our makers
- At home LightBurn subscriptions can be purchased at a discounted rate for being a PPM member.
- The discount code is saved as a Pinned Message in our 'laser-cutter' channel in Slack.
- Donate for "General Supplies" via PayPal: bit.ly/ppmstuff
- Or, leave donations in a black payment box, or use a QR code.
- If equipment needs repairs, place a red-tag on it and report it via the Pikes Peak Makerspace Slack, # red-tag-issues channel.
- This advises others on the malfunctioning equipment and ensures that actions can be taken to service/repair the equipment promptly.
- For more information, review our New Member Orientation wiki page.
Scrap and Trash
- Trash day is MONDAY
- Recycling day is MONDAY (96 gallon tote)
- Single Stream Recycling provided by Waste Connections. Paper, cardboard, cans, glass, and one time use plastics.
- Empty recycling and trash into our dumpster at the back (south side) of the building.
- Always leave the space better than you found it.
Links to related PPM Wiki pages:
Links to member-recommended external sites:
- Mach 3 — control motors (stepper & servo) by processing G-Code.
- 80/20 — BUILD YOUR IDEA
- UNISTRUT — Metal Framing System
Other Fun Stuff
Links to external sites:
- PPM Tool Color Map — Interactive
- Search our Wiki (If your answer is not here on the Wiki, please let us know!)