The Welding Area at Pikes Peak Makerspace (PPM) consists mostly of Level 3 equipment.
Additional PPM training and then certification is required to use any of our Level 3 equipment.
Welding Area hand tools should be marked with pink tape, paint, or powder coating.
Members must know the following information:
- In case of emergency, call 911.
- Our physical location is:
- 735 East Pikes Peak Avenue
- Colorado Springs, CO 80903
- use this when ordering pizza or an ambulance
PPM Fire Escape Plan
- Fire Escape Plan maps are posted throughout the Makerspace.
- There are 7 fire extinguishers on the fire escape plan map. Review the PPM Fire Escape Plan for locations.
- There is a FIRST AID Supply Cabinet in our Kitchen Area.
- FIRST AID Kits are available in four areas: the Kitchen, Metal Shop, Wood Shop and CNC Room.
Eye Wash Stations
- Emergency Eye & Face Wash Stations are mounted in four areas: the Kitchen, Wood Shop, CNC Room and Vented Room.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Wear protective equipment in all Wood and Metal Shop Areas.
- Wear gloves when using Isopropyl Alcohol and other cleaners.
- All hazardous chemicals must be stored in the yellow hazardous chemical storage cabinet located in the Vented Room.
- Review the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) information of unknown products before use.
- SDS information is available via the QR code on the hazardous chemical storage cabinet or this spreadsheet.
- Do not bring dangerous chemicals to the makerspace.
- Spray paint, stains, and other approved items must be stored in the hazardous chemical storage cabinet in the Vented Room.
- Please DO NOT paint indoors.
Classes and Training
Area Leader — Leaders needed
To help out in the Welding Area contact the Area Leader on Slack.
PPM announces all its Upcoming events, including classes, on Meetup
Links to external sites:
- Learn to weld for $50 at General Air
- ESAB Knowledge Center
- Welding for Woodworkers — woodcraft.com
- Jamie Hyneman On Welding in His Workshop
MIG, TIG and stick
|HEAVY DUTY CUTTING & WELDING KIT
2' x 8’, 40” tall
|BESSEY CORNER METAL CLAMP
|WELDING HELPER PLIERS
|LOCKING C CLAMP
- Welding Area hand tools should be marked with pink tape or paint or powder coating.
- Return all tools to their proper location after use. This rule applies to all areas of our Makerspace.
- Pikes Peak Makerspace is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, so we can provide a receipt for any donations you make.
- PPM members enjoy discounts at the following local merchants:
- (walk in, show proof of membership)
|Woodcraft of Colorado Springs
|4438 Austin Bluffs Parkway
|CO Lumber Specialties
|3636 Stone Avenue
|3031 N Nevada Ave.
|ACE Hardware Uintah Gardens
|1830 W Uintah Street
- Map of stores that provide PPM member discounts
- Map of helpful local resources curated by our makers
- At home LightBurn subscriptions can be purchased at a discounted rate for being a PPM member.
- The discount code is saved as a Pinned Message in our 'laser-cutter' channel in Slack.
- Donate for "General Supplies" via PayPal: bit.ly/ppmstuff
- Or, leave donations in a black payment box, or use a QR code.
- If equipment needs repairs, place a Red Tag on it and report it via the Pikes Peak Makerspace Slack channel #red-tags-issues
- This advises others on the malfunctioning equipment and ensures that actions can be taken to service/repair the equipment promptly.
- For more information, review our New Member Orientation wiki page.
Scrap and Trash
- Trash day is MONDAY
- Recycling day is MONDAY (96 gallon tote)
- Single Stream Recycling provided by Waste Connections. Paper, cardboard, cans, glass, and one time use plastics.
- Empty recycling and trash into our dumpster at the back (south side) of the building.
- Always leave the space better than you found it.
Links to related PPM Wiki pages:
- Metal Shop
- Metal Shop — CNC SHOPMASTER
- Metal Shop — Sandblasting Cabinet
- Metal Shop — Powder Coating
- Wood Shop
- Vented Room
For Additional Help
- Use the PPM Slack channel #metal-shop
- List of all PPM Slack channels
- Note that we have a Slack channel (#job-board) for members to post, discuss, or accept job opportunities either within PPM or from the community.
- PPM Tool Color Map — Interactive
- Search the PPM Wiki
- Contact Us if your answer is not here on our Wiki.
Pikes Peak Makerspace (PPM) is dedicated to supporting our maker community in their creative processes by providing shared space, shared tools, materials, software and a knowledge base to turn their ideas into reality.