Pikes Peak Makerspace (PPM) is dedicated to supporting our maker community in their creative process by providing shared space, shared tools, software, materials and a knowledge base to turn their ideas into reality.
The Laser Engraver/Cutter Area at PPM consists mostly of Level 3 equipment.
Additional training and certification is required to use any of our Level 3 equipment.
Members must know the following information:
In case of emergency, call 911
- Our physical location is:
- 735 East Pikes Peak Avenue
- Colorado Springs, CO 80903
- use this when ordering pizza or an ambulance
PPM Fire Escape Plan
- Fire Escape Plan maps are posted throughout the Makerspace.
- There are 7 fire extinguishers on the fire escape plan map. Review the PPM Fire Escape Plan for locations.
- There is a FIRST AID Supply Cabinet in our Kitchen Area.
- FIRST AID Kits are available in four areas: the Kitchen, Metal Shop, Wood Shop and CNC Room.
Eye Wash Stations
- Emergency Eye & Face Wash Stations are mounted in four areas: the Kitchen, Wood Shop, CNC Room and Vented Room.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Wear protective equipment in all Wood and Metal Shop Areas.
- Wear gloves when using Isopropyl Alcohol and other cleaners.
- All hazardous chemicals must be stored in the yellow hazardous chemical storage cabinet located in the Vented Room.
- Review the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) information of unknown products before use.
- SDS information is available via the QR code on the hazardous chemical storage cabinet or this spreadsheet.
- Do not bring dangerous chemicals to the makerspace.
- Spray paint, stains, and other approved items must be stored in the hazardous chemical storage cabinet in the Vented Room.
- Please DO NOT paint indoors.
Classes and Training
- Jonathan Wommack (Epilog Laser)
- Pikes Peak Makerspace announces its Upcoming events, including classes, on Meetup
- Jonathan Wommack (Epilog Laser)
DO NOT cut materials with PVC on either laser, this will release chlorine gas which is toxic.
- ALWAYS ensure the work area interior and exterior is clean before and after your work.
- The maximum bed size for vector cutting or raster etching is 16” x 12” or less.
For Additional Help
- Use the PPM Slack channel #laser-cutter
- List of all PPM Slack channels
- Note that we have a Slack channel (#job-board) for members to post, discuss, or accept job opportunities either within PPM or from the community.
• Introduction to the Zing Laser (15:26, 20 May 2015)
• Laser Cutting Material Table (15:41, 21 May 2015)
• Laser Cutting Acrylic (16:31, 24 November 2015)
|zing 30 Watt
10000 Laser System
|yes, and online|
Zing LASER Computer
i7 3.4 GHz,
|hp||Windows 10 Pro||Adobe Acrobat, |
- Design workstation ONLY!
- No Facebook, social media, or random browsing.
- Laser Area hand tools should be marked with red tape or paint.
- Return all tools to their proper location after use. This rule applies to all areas of our Makerspace.
- Pikes Peak Makerspace is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, so we can provide a receipt for any donations you make.
Benefits and Policies
- PPM members enjoy discounts at the following local merchants:
- (walk in, show proof of membership)
|Woodcraft of Colorado Springs||10% discount||4438 Austin Bluffs Parkway|
|CO Lumber Specialties||10% discount||3636 Stone Avenue|
|GENERAL AIR||10% discount||3031 N Nevada Ave.|
|ACE Hardware Uintah Gardens||10% discount||1830 W Uintah Street|
- Map of stores that provide PPM member discounts
- Map of helpful local resources curated by our makers
- At home LightBurn subscriptions can be purchased at a discounted rate for being a PPM member.
- The discount code is saved as a Pinned Message in our 'laser-cutter' channel in Slack.
- DO NOT cut materials with PVC on either laser, this will release chlorine gas which is toxic.
- Avoid reflective material.
- Donate for "Wood Sheet for Laser" via PayPal: bit.ly/ppmstuff
- Or, leave donations in a black payment box, or use a QR code.
- If equipment needs repairs, place a red-tag on it and report it via the Pikes Peak Makerspace Slack, # red-tag-issues channel.
- This advises others on the malfunctioning equipment and ensures that actions can be taken to service/repair the equipment promptly.
- For more information, review our New Member Orientation wiki page.
Scrap and Trash
- Trash day is MONDAY
- Recycling day is MONDAY (96 gallon tote)
- Single Stream Recycling provided by Waste Connections. Paper, cardboard, cans, glass, and one time use plastics.
- Empty recycling and trash into our dumpster at the back (south side) of the building.
- Always leave the space better than you found it.
- Adobe Acrobat
- For even more member projects, visit our #showcase channel on Slack, or follow our social media links.
Links to related PPM Wiki pages:
Links to member-recommended external sites:
- Homebrew CO2 Laser Page — by John Doran (Epilog VP of Engineering)
- ImagR — Prepare your image for laser engraving
- MakerCase or Boxes.py — Cut boxes with a laser cutter
- Bell Laser — After market parts for laser machines
- Laser Research Optics — Alternative and cheaper sources of lenses
Other Fun Stuff
Links to external sites:
- PPM Tool Color Map — Interactive
- Search our Wiki (If your answer is not here on the Wiki, please let us know!)