The Laser Engraver/Cutter Area at Pikes Peak Makerspace (PPM) consists mostly of Level 3 equipment.
Additional training is required to use our Level 3 equipment.
Laser Area hand tools should be marked with red tape or paint.
Members must know the following information:
In case of emergency, call 911
- Our physical location is:
- 735 East Pikes Peak Avenue
- Colorado Springs, CO 80903
- use this when ordering pizza or an ambulance
PPM Fire Escape Plan
- Fire Escape Plan maps are posted throughout the Makerspace.
- There are 7 fire extinguishers on the fire escape plan map. Review the PPM Fire Escape Plan for locations.
- There is a FIRST AID Supply Cabinet in our Kitchen Area.
- FIRST AID Kits are available in four areas: the Kitchen, Metal Shop, Wood Shop and CNC Room.
Eye Wash Stations
- Emergency Eye & Face Wash Stations are mounted in four areas: the Kitchen, Wood Shop, CNC Room and Vented Room.
Personal Protective Equipment
- Wear protective equipment in all Wood and Metal Shop Areas.
- Wear gloves when using Isopropyl Alcohol and other cleaners.
- All hazardous chemicals must be stored in the yellow hazardous chemical storage cabinet located in the vented room.
- Review the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) information of unknown products before use. SDS information is available via the QR code on the hazardous chemical storage cabinet or this link.
- Do not bring dangerous chemicals to the makerspace.
- Spray paint, stains, and other approved items must be stored in the hazardous chemical storage cabinet in the vented room. Please DO NOT paint indoors.
Classes and Training
- Jonathan Wommack (Epilog Laser)
- View all PPM Area Captains
- Pikes Peak Makerspace announces its Upcoming events, including classes, on Meetup
- Jonathan Wommack (Epilog Laser)
DO NOT cut materials with PVC on either laser, this will release chlorine gas which is toxic.
- ALWAYS ensure the work area interior and exterior is clean before and after your work.
- The maximum bed size for vector cutting or raster etching is 16” x 12” or less.
For Additional Help
- Use the PPM Slack channel #laser-cutter
• Introduction to the Zing Laser (15:26, 20 May 2015)
• Laser Cutting Material Table (15:41, 21 May 2015)
• Laser Cutting Acrylic (16:31, 24 November 2015)
|Zing 30 Watt Laser
||Epilog Laser||10000 Laser System||
|yes, and online||PPM||working|
- Laser Area hand tools should be marked with red tape or paint.
- Return all tools to their proper location after use. This rule applies to all areas of our Makerspace.
Benefits and Policies
PPM Member Benefits
- (walk in, show proof of membership)
|Woodcraft of Colorado Springs||10% discount||4438 Austin Bluffs Parkway|
|CO Lumber Specialties||10% discount||3636 Stone Avenue|
|GENERAL AIR||10% discount||3031 N Nevada Ave.|
|ACE Hardware Uintah Gardens||10% discount||1830 W Uintah Street|
- Map of stores that provide PPM member discounts
- Map of helpful local resources curated by our makers
- DO NOT cut materials with PVC on either laser, this will release chlorine gas which is toxic.
- Avoid reflective material.
- Donate for "Wood Sheet for Laser" via PayPal: bit.ly/ppmstuff
- Or, leave donations in a black payment box, or use a QR code.
Scrap and Trash
- Collect scrap plain paper, PLA and PETG plastics, and metals for recycling.
- Empty recycling and trash into our dumpster at the back (south side) of the building.
- Leave the space better than you found it.
- Adobe Illustrator (Windows 10 and Macintosh)
- Adobe Photoshop (Windows 10 and Macintosh)
- Inkscape (multi-platform)
- Procreate (Tips, Training and Meetups)
- Adobe Acrobat (for Epilog LASER)
Epilog Laser Photo Gallery
- For even more member projects, visit our #showcase channel on Slack, or follow our social media links.
- ImagR -- Prepare your image for laser engraving
- Bell Laser - After market parts for laser machines
- Laser Research Optics - Alternative and cheaper sources of lenses
Other Fun Stuff