Powder Coating Area
The Powder Coating Area within our Metal Shop at Pikes Peak Makerspace consists mostly of Level 2 equipment.
Additional training is required to use our Level 2 equipment.
Powder Coating Area hand tools should be marked with pink tape or paint or powder coating.
All our Powder Coating Equipment combined occupies about 90 square feet (6'x18'). It is a small but important part of the 5,500 square foot building that we lease.
Members must know the following information:
In case of emergency, call 911
- Our physical location is:
- 735 East Pikes Peak Avenue
- Colorado Springs, CO 80903
- use this when ordering pizza or an ambulance
PPM Fire Escape Plan
- Fire Escape Plan maps are posted throughout the Makerspace.
- There are 7 fire extinguishers on the fire escape plan map. Review the PPM Fire Escape Plan for locations.
- There is a FIRST AID Supply Cabinet in our Kitchen Area.
- FIRST AID Kits are available in four areas: the Kitchen, Metal Shop, Wood Shop and CNC Room.
Eye Wash Stations
- Emergency Eye & Face Wash Stations are mounted in four areas: the Kitchen, Wood Shop, CNC Room and Vented Room.
Personal Protective Equipment
- Wear protective equipment in all Wood and Metal Shop Areas.
- Wear gloves when using Isopropyl Alcohol and other cleaners.
- All hazardous chemicals must be stored in the yellow hazardous chemical storage cabinet located in the vented room.
- Review the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) information of unknown products before use.
- SDS information is available via the QR code on the hazardous chemical storage cabinet or this link.
- Do not bring dangerous chemicals to the makerspace.
- Spray paint, stains, and other approved items must be stored in the hazardous chemical storage cabinet in the vented room.
- Please DO NOT paint indoors.
Classes and Training
Area Captain -- Trevor Banks
- To help out in the Powder Coating Area, contact the Area Captain on Slack.
- View all PPM Area Captains
- Pikes Peak Makerspace announces its Upcoming events, including classes, on Meetup
- Max part size to powder coat is 36"x45"x91"
For Additional Help
- Use the PPM Slack channel #metal-shop
Powder Coating Equipment
|media blaster cabinet||Harbor Freight||link||
|no||PPM, (donated by TITAN ROBOTICS)||new gloves installed
for media blaster
|no||PPM||additional pair of gloves,
|no||PPM, (donated by TITAN ROBOTICS)|
powder coating paint gun, dual voltage
powder coating oven with PID controller
|oven for powder coating||GE||no||PPM, (donated by Quinn)||working (12/08/21)||would benefit from PID controller|
- Powder Coating Area hand tools should be marked with pink tape or paint or powder coating.
- Return all tools to their proper location after use. This rule applies to all areas of our Makerspace.
- Pikes Peak Makerspace is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, so we can provide a receipt for any donations you make.
Benefits and Policies
PPM Member Benefits
- (walk in, show proof of membership)
|Woodcraft of Colorado Springs||10% discount||4438 Austin Bluffs Parkway|
|CO Lumber Specialties||10% discount||3636 Stone Avenue|
|GENERAL AIR||10% discount||3031 N Nevada Ave.|
|ACE Hardware Uintah Gardens||10% discount||1830 W Uintah Street|
- Map of stores that provide PPM member discounts
- Map of helpful local resources curated by our makers
- Additionally, we have a Slack channel (#job-board) for members to post, discuss, or accept job opportunities either within PPM or from the community.
Powder Coating Powders
|Sassy Pink||PSS 3063||20 Minutes at 350°F||PRISMATIC POWDERS||02/10/22|
|Neon Green||PSS 1221||10 Minutes at 400°F||PRISMATIC POWDERS||02/10/22|
|Space Dust||PPB 10713||10 Minutes at 400°F||PRISMATIC POWDERS||02/10/22|
|Ink Black||PSS 0106||10 Minutes at 400°F||PRISMATIC POWDERS||02/10/22|
|Flatter Black||ESS 4441||10 Minutes at 400°F||PRISMATIC POWDERS||02/10/22|
|Super Grip Black||PTB 6419||10 Minutes at 350°F||PRISMATIC POWDERS||02/10/22|
|Black||MATTE BLACK, Item 93306||400°F for 15-20 mins
|Clear||SOFT (SATIN) CLEAR, PPS-1334||10 MIN AT 400° F||PRISMATIC POWDERS|
|White||GLOSS WHITE, PSS-5690||10 MIN AT 400° F||PRISMATIC POWDERS|
|Yellow||Mirror Yellow, # 10292||400° F for 20 mins
- Donate for "General Supplies" via PayPal: bit.ly/ppmstuff
- Or, leave donations in a black payment box, or use a QR code.
- Use a Red Tag, which can be found in the red tag area, to designate broken equipment.
Scrap and Trash
- Collect scrap plain paper, PLA and PETG plastics, and metals for recycling.
- Empty recycling and trash into our dumpster at the back (south side) of the building.
- Leave the space better than you found it.
- For even more member projects, visit our #showcase channel on Slack, or follow our social media links.
Links to other PPM Wiki pages (internal links):
Links to other sites (external links):
- How to Powder Coat -- Eastwood
Other Fun Stuff
Links to other sites (external links):
- What is a PID Controller? -- Wikipedia